The 337th Infantry Regiment in Italy During WWII

Pfc. Norbert Rebholz- 310th Engineers, Company A, 2nd Platoon

Company A was attached to the 337th Infantry as part of the 337th Regimental Combat Team

Pfc. Rebholz's son, Gary, has provided this service history of his father and a large collection of war time photographs of Pfc. Rebholz's service, beginning with basic training at Camp Shelby and then shipment to North Africa and Italy. Norbert's Service History is summarized below and you can view this large collection of wartime photos at Personal Photos from Norbert Rebholz.




Norbert's Service History

  • 3 Oct 1942 - Inducted into U.S. Army from Millvale, PA
  • 7 Oct 1942 - Entered Active Service at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland
  • January 1943 - Period of Basic Training at Camp Shelby, Mississippi
  • 1 Jan 1944 - Departed the US for European Theater of Operations (ETO)
    on the HMS Andes at Hampton Roads, VA
    Norbert was assigned to 2nd Platoon of A Company, 310th Combat Engineer Battalion, 85th Infantry Division, attached to the 337th Infantry
  • 9 Jan 1944 - Arrived in Casablanca, Morocco (French North Africa)
  • 17 May 1944 - Wounded in Action near Minturno, Italy. Subsequently award the Purple Heart.
  • 10 Oct 1945 - Departed Italy for the USA
  • 29 Oct 1945 - Arrived in USA
  • 3 Nov 1945 - Date of Seperation from the Army at Unit B, Seperation Center #45,
    Indiantown Gap Military Reserve Center, PA
    Military Qualification: Expert pistol, Sharpshooter rifle
    Military Occupation: Basic Engineer (749), Truck Driver, light (345)
    Battles & Campaigns: Rome-Arno, Northern Apennines, Po Valley (Ref. GO 33 & 40, WD45)
    Decorations & Citations: Purple Heart Medal, Bronze Star Medal, American Theatre Service Medal, European African Middle Eastern Service Medal with 2 Bronze stars
    Length of Active Service: US (1 year, 2 months, 18 days); Foreign: 1 year, 9 months, 29 days
    Longevity for Pay Purposes: 3 years, 1 month, 1 day
  • 27 Sep 1970, 5:38 PM - Date of death at age 48. Location: St. John's Hospital, Allegheny, Pittsburgh, PA